Volunteer Board Position
The Board of Directors of the Canadian Parks and Wilderness Society (CPAWS), Northern Alberta Chapter, seeks a candidate for the position of Treasurer. This is a volunteer position with a chapter of an influential non-profit, charitable conservation organization.
The duties of the Treasurer are as follows:
- Manage, ensure the board’s review of, and facilitate action related to the board’s financial responsibilities;
- Assist the Executive Director in preparing the annual budget, and presenting the budget to the board for approval;
- Providing regular reports to the board on key financial events, trends, concerns, and assessment of the fiscal health of the chapter;
- Ensuring appropriate financial reports are made available to the board;
- Working with the Executive Director to develop fiscal policies for recommendation to the Board to build the financial integrity and sustainability of the organization;
- Working with the Executive Director to develop long-term financial strategies;
- Working with the Executive Director and the bookkeeper to help provide sound financial management and support;
- Keeping up-to-date and informed of legal, regulatory and sector developments relating to the board’s financial responsibilities; and
- Oversee annual independent financial audit.
The ideal candidate should have a CPA designation or experience in financial reporting and auditing of non-profit organizations. The Board of Directors meets every six weeks throughout the year plus participation on the Board's Fund Development Committee. The time commitment is expected to be five to ten hours per month.
Candidates must be outgoing, enjoy outdoor activities and be committed to the conservation of Canada’s public lands and waters. Board members actively support the organization through fundraising, donor stewardship, and engagement activities. Board members also get together for outdoor weekends and activities that support the organization's goals.
More information about CPAWS Northern Alberta can be found at: www.cpawsnab.org
Commitment: Ongoing / board members are elected to a three year term
Contact Name: Pat Chan, board chair
Phone Number: 780-935-2286
Location / Emplacement: Edmonton, AB
Application Deadline: February 15, 2017
Canadian Parks And Wilderness Society, Northern Alberta Chapter
The Canadian Parks and Wilderness Society (CPAWS) is a nation-wide non-profit conservation organization, with regional chapters spread across Canada’s provinces and territories. CPAWS is the only charity in Canada solely focused on gaining protection for Canada’s public lands and waters; currently, 90% of Canada and 60% of Alberta is publicly owned.
The CPAWS Northern Alberta chapter focuses its work on the northern two-thirds of Alberta roughly from the city of Red Deer north to the border with the Northwest Territories. We regularly collaborate with government, industry, Aboriginal communities, and other environmental organizations to achieve our conservation goals. We focus on the creation of parks and protected areas in northern Alberta, the management of protected areas, and the conservation of wilderness and wildlife on non-protected landscapes.