CPAWS Northern Alberta is seeking an enthusiastic, environmentally focused person to act as Conservation Outreach Assistant to coordinate and manage the chapter's summer outreach events. Job duties include: (1) scheduling and leading outreach and education activities related to parks and wilderness in northern Alberta; (2) managing event volunteers and developing materials for outreach activities in the community; and (3) liaising with community groups to organize participation in community events in and around Edmonton. The Conservation Outreach Assistant will work primarily on-site at the CPAWS Northern Alberta office under the supervision of the chapter's Executive Director.
• Work with staff to develop and implement outreach and education activities in and around Edmonton
• Liaise with local community organizations to develop outreach opportunities
• Lead/Attend outreach events and activities in and around Edmonton (evenings and weekends)
• Organize and manage volunteers for outreach events and activities
• Create and manage materials for outreach events and activities
Qualifications: The ideal candidate possesses some post-secondary education in the fields of environmental sciences, environmental sociology, or non-profit business development/management, and has effective communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills. This includes:
• Enthusiasm for wilderness, conservation and the ability to communicate science to the general public
• Working towards a degree in Environmental Sciences, Non-Profit Management, or Event Planning
• Previous experience with volunteer management and volunteer management programs an asset
• Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills
• Ability to drive and access to a vehicle is required
• Ability to work evenings and weekends throughout the summer is mandatory
This Job is made possible through the Canada Summer Jobs Grant. To apply, you must be:
• between 15 and 30 years of age;
• registered as a full-time student during the preceding academic year and intending to return to school on a full-time basis during the next academic year;
• a student in a secondary, post-secondary, CEGEP (Quebec only), vocational or technical program;
• a Canadian Citizen, permanent resident, or person on whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, and;
• legally entitled to work according to the relevant provincial / territorial legislation and regulations.
All qualified candidates will be considered; however, preference will be given to Aboriginal candidates.
Work Dates: May 8, 2017 to August 25, 2017, 35 hours per week
Apply: Please forward PDF resume and covering letter by April 17, 2017 to CPAWS Northern Alberta via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put “Application for Conservation Outreach Assistant” in your subject line. While all applications are appreciated, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.